Spam is website publishers #1 concern, we wanna share our and our visitors' emails to those who should have access to them, but don't want spam harvesters stealing them and sending garbage to us. A lot of techniques had been developed to hide our emails from these delinquents, while having them shown to real people.
And together with spam harvesting, on 15 June 2009, Matt Cutts, a well known software engineer of Google, announced that Google Bot will no longer ignore nofollowed links for PageRank, and now we lose PR/link juice for every link we add to our pages, even if we use rel="nofollow" on them. So, now we must hide links from Search Engines too!
I've been searching for an ultimate obfuscation solution for both emails and URLs, that would be user-friendly for me the content publisher, and for my visitors. I've seen a lot of solutions, some that inspired me, but none that would fit my needs. It was time to start coding :)
It doesn't use shortcodes, it works directly over HTML links, parsing and obfuscating them. By default it filters all texts in posts, comments, comments authors and text widgets, but you can manually use it anywhere you want.
The obfuscated string is then merged back by CSS to a readable URL/email text, so that human visitors can read it while spam harvesters and searchbots will not be able to detect it as a valid email/URL.
For CSS, it may revert the link string while PHP is building the page and then CSS reverts it back. Or it may add garbage text between the link, and CSS prevents this extra text from being rendered, so any user-agent that doesn't use CSS can't find the link but browsers show it clearly.
And, disregarding the used technique, we content publishers must do nothing different while building our content, just activate the plugin and it does everything else for us :)
I dedicate Hikari Email & URL Obfuscator to Ju, my beloved frient ^-^
* Works instantly, no need to edit your posts to have your links obfuscated: Hikari Email & URL Obfuscator plugin automatically detects them and starts obfuscating as soon as it is activated.
* Customization: CSS doesn't let we have real links, but we can at least choose if our obfuscated text will have email only, text only, or both!
Advantages over other obfuscation solutions
* Automatic: you don't need to take special actions to start obfuscating, as using shortcodes in place of links or an external tool to get your obfuscation code. Just normally use your links in your posts and let the plugin do the rest!
* Sitewide: instantly works in your existing posts, pages, comments and text widgets, just after you activate it.
* Extensible: you can call it manually, and add it to other plugins and themes filters.