FLAC for Music and Sound 1.2.0
File ID: 76505
FLAC for Music and Sound 1.2.0
File Size: 1.8 MB
FLAC for Music and Sound 1.2.0 Description
Description: FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, an audio format similar to MP3, but lossless, meaning that audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in quality.
This is similar to how Zip works, except with FLAC you will get much better compression because it is designed specifically for audio, and you can play back compressed FLAC files in your favorite player (or your car or home stereo, see supported devices) just like you would an MP3 file.
FLAC stands out as the fastest and most widely supported lossless audio codec, and the only one that at once is non-proprietary, is unencumbered by patents, has an open-source reference implementation, has a well documented format and API, and has several other independent implementations.
FLAC supports tagging, cover art, and fast seeking. FLAC is freely available and supported on most operating systems, including Windows, "unix" (Linux, *BSD, Solaris, OS X, IRIX), BeOS, OS/2, and Amiga.
There are many programs and devices that support FLAC, but the core FLAC project here maintains the format and provides programs and libraries for working with FLAC files.
Notable features of FLAC:
- Lossless: The encoding of audio (PCM) data incurs no loss of information, and the decoded audio is bit-for-bit identical to what went into the encoder. Each frame contains a 16-bit CRC of the frame data for detecting transmission errors. The integrity of the audio data is further insured by storing an MD5 signature of the original unencoded audio data in the file header, which can be compared against later during decoding or testing.
- Fast: FLAC is asymmetric in favor of decode speed. Decoding requires only integer arithmetic, and is much less compute-intensive than for most perceptual codecs. Real-time decode performance is easily achievable on even modest hardware.
- Hardware support: FLAC is supported by dozens of consumer electronic devices, from portable players, to home stereo equipment, to car stereo.
- Flexible metadata: FLAC's metadata system supports tags, cover art, seek tables, and cue sheets. Applications can write their own APPLICATION metadata once they register an ID. New metadata blocks can be defined and implemented in future versions of FLAC without breaking older streams or decoders.
- Seekable: FLAC supports fast sample-accurate seeking. Not only is this useful for playback, it makes FLAC files suitable for use in editing applications.
- Streamable: Each FLAC frame contains enough data to decode that frame. FLAC does not even rely on previous or following frames. FLAC uses sync codes and CRCs (similar to MPEG and other formats), which, along with framing, allow decoders to pick up in the middle of a stream with a minimum of delay.
- Suitable for archiving: FLAC is an open format, and there is no generation loss if you need to convert your data to another format in the future. In addition to the frame CRCs and MD5 signature, flac has a verify option that decodes the encoded stream in parallel with the encoding process and compares the result to the original, aborting with an error if there is a mismatch.
- Convenient CD archiving: FLAC has a "cue sheet" metadata block for storing a CD table of contents and all track and index points. For instance, you can rip a CD to a single file, then import the CD's extracted cue sheet while encoding to yield a single file representation of the entire CD. If your original CD is damaged, the cue sheet can be exported later in order to burn an exact copy.
- Error resistant: Because of FLAC's framing, stream errors limit the damage to the frame in which the error occurred, typically a small fraction of a second worth of data. Contrast this with some other lossless codecs, in which a single error destroys the remainder of the stream.
What FLAC is not:
- Lossy. FLAC is intended for lossless compression only, as there are many good lossy formats already, such as Vorbis, MPC, and MP3 (see LAME for an excellent open-source implementation).
- DRM. There is no intention to add any copy prevention methods. Of course, we can't stop someone from encrypting a FLAC stream in another container (e.g. the way Apple encrypts AAC in MP4 with FairPlay), that is the choice of the user.
Related: Audio, Frame, Format, Metadata, Stream, lossless, supported, Stereo, Error, Encoding, Devices, original, Single, similar, Decode, Supports, Formats
O/S:BSD, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X
File Size: 1.8 MB
|More Similar Code|
libgaudio is a library to facilitate easy incorporation of sound and sound effects in games. Samples are loaded into memory and playback is thentriggered or stopped.
The system mixes any number of concurrently playing samples together (up to a predefined maximum). Also possible is the inclusion of a background MP3 soundfile (external program "mpg123" required).
PHP Streamcast is a front end for a version of streamcast (called stream-db) that will use a database as a backend for playlists and queues, instead of the current Perl data structures.
stream-db is a database-enabled...
It can extract routines, perform segmentation, cluster audio segments and many more from any audio or sound file.
Each feature extraction method can accept as argument an audio file, or any preliminary result from intermediary stages of...
Jack is a console based cd-ripper. It supports cdparanoia and cdda2wav (amongst others) for extraction and various MP3 and OGG/Vorbis encoders.
T1CSound is a simple ActiveX component for sound generation using system speaker.
The component can be used for the generation of sound using system speaker by any applications that support ActiveX components: VBScript and Jscript, ASP...
Streamtuner is a stream directory browser. Through the use of a plugin system, it offers an intuitive GTK 2.0 interface to Internet radio directories such as SHOUTcast and Live365.
With streamtuner, you can:
- Browse the SHOUTcast...
This script uses the flac command line tools for reading a FLAC files.
The scripts blends and uses the current Wavread interface.
Here are some key features of "Fast FLAC Reader":
dlTE Raw file...
GNU xhippo is a generic playlist manager program for a variety of Unix sound players.
It's been shown to work with mpg123, bplay, s3mod, tracker, xmp and timidity, and should work with more-or-less anything that can take a filename on...
Royalty free production music and sound effects sound file downloads. All original, broadcast quality sounds optimized for Flash, video games, websites and animation. Instant preview and instant download in the format of your choice. Custom sound...
Libshout is a library for communicating with and sending data to an icecast server. It handles the socket connection, the timing of the data, and prevents bad data from getting to the icecast server.
With just a few lines of code, a...
|User Review for FLAC for Music and Sound